2 conclusive in a process or progression; "the final answer"; "a last resort"; "the net result" [syn: final, last]
1 a computer network consisting of a worldwide network of computer networks that use the TCP/IP network protocols to facilitate data transmission and exchange [syn: Internet, cyberspace]
2 a trap made of netting to catch fish or birds or insects
3 the excess of revenues over outlays in a given period of time (including depreciation and other non-cash expenses) [syn: net income, net profit, lucre, profit, profits, earnings]
4 a goal lined with netting (as in soccer or hockey)
5 game equipment consisting of a strip of netting dividing the playing area in tennis or badminton
6 an open fabric of string or rope or wire woven together at regular intervals [syn: network, mesh, meshing, meshwork]
2 yield as a net profit; "This sale netted me $1 million" [syn: clear]
3 construct or form a web, as if by weaving [syn: web]
- , /nɛt/, /nEt/
- Rhymes: -ɛt
- A mesh of string, cord, or rope.
- A device made from such mesh, generally used for catching fish.
- A device made from such mesh, generally used for trapping something.
- Anything that has the appearance of such a device.
- Petri net
- A trap.
- caught in the prosecuting attorney's net
- Of a polyhedron, any set of polygons joined edge to edge that, when folded along the edges between adjoining polygons so that the outer edges touch, form that polyhedron.
- A computer network.
- A framework backed by a mesh, serving as the goal in hockey, soccer, lacrosse, etc.
- The striker headed the ball into the net to make it 1-0.
- A mesh stretched to divide the court in tennis, badminton, volleyball, etc.
used for catching fish
- Albanian: rrjetë
- Basque: sare
- Catalan: xarxa
- Croatian: mreža
- Czech: síť
- Danish: garn, vod
- Dutch: net
- Esperanto: reto
- Faroese: nót , garn
- Finnish: verkko
- French: filet
- German: Netz
- Hungarian: háló
- Italian: rete , retino
- Korean: 그물 (geumur, -l)
- Latin: plaga , rete
- Malayalam: വല (vala)
- Polish: sieć
- Portuguese: rede
- Slovene: mreža
- Spanish: red
- Swedish: nät
- Telugu: వల (vala)
used for trapping something
figurative: a trap
anything that has the appearance of a net
catch by means of a net
figurative: to catch in a trap
Etymology 2Via and , compare French net
remaining after expenses or deductions
The amount remaining after expenses are deducted, profit
- To receive as profit.
- The company nets $30 on every sale.
To receive as profit
- just (nearly)
- just recently
EtymologyOld Norse net.
EtymologyAkin to Old High German nezzi, Old Norse net
Net may refer to:
- Net (device), fibers woven in a grid-like structure
- Net (textile), any textile in which the warp and weft yarns are looped or knotted at their intersections
- Net (mathematics), a generalization of a sequence similar to a filter
- Net (polyhedron), an arrangement of polygons that can be folded up to form a polyhedron
- An electronic network connection in a netlist
- New Jersey Nets, a basketball team
- Net Television, a Maltese television station
- The Net (film), a 1995 film starring Sandra Bullock
- Cricket nets a safe netted environment for practicing cricket
In computing and communication:
.net or .NET may refer to:
In business and finance as an antonym of gross:
NET as an acronym may refer to:
In broadcast and media:
- National Educational Television, U.S., the predecessor of PBS
- Nebraska Educational Telecommunications, U.S.
- National Empowerment Television, a defunct politically conservative cable network from the 1990s
- Nihon Educational Television, the former name of TV Asahi, Japan
- Net Serviços de Comunicação S/A, Brazil
- New Hellenic Television, Greece
- Never Ending Tour, musician Bob Dylan's tour since 1988
In science and psychology:
net in German: Net
net in Esperanto: NET
net in French: NET
net in Italian: NET
net in Hungarian: NET
net in Dutch: Net
net in Japanese: ネット
net in Korean: NET
net in Portuguese: NET
net in Turkish: .NET
acquire, afford, angle, apprehend, arabesque, arrest, asking price, avails, avoirdupois, bag, bait, bait the hook, balance, bargain price, basketry, basketwork, be seized of, beef, beefiness, bid, bid price, birdlime, bob, bola, box office, braid, bring in, burden, cancellation, capital gains, capitalize on, capture, cash in on, cash price, catch, catch out, circuit, clam, clean up, cleanup, clear, clear profit, coast-to-coast hookup, cobweb, coin money, colander, come by, come in for, come into, commercialize, commissions, contract, controlled price, corral, cramp, credit, credits, cribble, cribriformity, cribrosity, cripple, crop, cross-hatching, crossing-out, cumber, current price, current quotation, cut price, dap, deadweight, decoy, deficit, derive, dib, dibble, difference, discrepancy, disposable income, dividend, dividends, drag down, dragnet, draw, drive, earn, earned income, earnings, embarrass, encumber, enlace, enmesh, ensnare, ensnarl, entangle, enter into possession, entoil, entrammel, entrap, entwine, enweb, epact, fatness, fetter, filigree, filthy lucre, fish, fishhook, fixed price, flat rate, fly, fly-fish, foul, fret, fretwork, gain, gain by, gains, gate, gate receipts, get, gettings, gig, gill net, gin, gleanings, go fishing, going price, grate, grating, gravity, grid, gridiron, grig, grille, grillwork, gross, gross income, gross profit, gross receipts, gross weight, ground bait, guddle, hachure, hamper, hamstring, handicap, harpoon, harvest, hatching, heaviness, heft, heftiness, hoard, hobble, honeycomb, hook, hook in, hookup, impede, income, intake, interest, interknit, interlace, interlacement, intertexture, intertie, intertissue, intertwine, intertwinement, intertwist, interweave, intort, inveigle, involve, jack, jacklight, jig, killing, knit, lace, lacery, lacework, lacing, lame, land, lariat, lasso, lattice, latticework, left, leftover, lime, list price, liveweight, loom, loop, lucre, lumber, lure, make, make a killing, make an arrest, make money, make money by, makings, market price, mat, mesh, meshes, meshwork, nail, neat price, neat profit, neat weight, net income, net profit, net receipts, net weight, netting, network, noose, obtain, odd, output, outstanding, over, overbalance, overweight, package price, paper profits, pay, pay off, pelf, percentage, perk, perks, perquisite, pick up, pickings, piece price, plait, pleach, plexure, plexus, plug, ponderability, ponderosity, ponderousness, porosity, porousness, pound net, poundage, press down, price list, prices current, proceeds, procure, produce, profit, profits, pull down, purse seine, put under arrest, quotation, quoted price, raddle, radio links, rake-off, realize, realize on, reap, receipt, receipts, receivables, recommended price, remainder, remaining, remanent, reticle, reticulation, reticule, reticulum, return, returns, revenue, riddle, rope, royalties, sack, saddle with, score, screen, screening, secure, seine, seize, selling price, shackle, shrimp, sieve, sievelikeness, snag, snare, snarl, sniggle, spare, spear, spin, spinner, splice, sponge, spread the toils, springe, squid, still-fish, stock market quotations, store, strainer, superfluous, surplus, surviving, take, take captive, take into custody, take prisoner, take-in, takings, tangle, tangle up with, texture, throughput, tissue, to spare, toil, toils, tonnage, torch, tracery, trade price, trammel, trap, trawl, trellis, trelliswork, trip, troll, turn a penny, turn to account, turn to profit, twill, twine, twist, unconsumed, underweight, unearned income, unit price, unused, wattle, wealth, weave, weaving, web, webbing, webwork, weft, weigh down, weight, weightiness, whale, wholesale price, wicker, wickerwork, win, wind, winnings, wobbler, wreathe, yield